Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Jungleboy: Guyana Chronicles (Lantern swing in the Sunset )

Lantern’s swing in the Sunset

The sun looses its deep colors along the edge of the ocean and I still sit on one of the patio of Celina’s restaurant. I sip from the cold wet beer bottle that is wrapped in paper as the condensation soaks through it and then the atmosphere really grabbed me. The restaurant composed from series of neat patios in dark mahogany color including several mushroom looking 2 stories patios where Bars underneath and tables above with lanterns along the splashing ocean shore… I was sitting in the distance on the edge and inside one of the mushroom roof few young Brazilian and Guyanese girls learned Latino dancing and it was a perfect relaxed sight. My senses felt the light Caribbean ocean wind moved the sound of waves mixing under Latino beats under blushed sunset... lanterns gain glow power and cast faint shadows on the structures and the outlines of the dancers. I was just relaxed having great time with my Banks/Carib beer... Wishing I had my video camera but then I realize I can’t take everything with me home...

Back to reality on Wednesday we finally met with all the NGO's and other organizations that we will work for... also another press conference followed VSO new recruits... and the problems we are trying to tackle in their community... We all said a little about why were are here.... and we discussed topics with our work, brief topics of course.

The press was busy writing and recording for the papers and managed to completely mix everyone up as I got jot down as an oncologist nurse...

We had a good laugh next day reading it.... We also got to tour our work areas and Jill turned out she will work similar places as we both will work at the Adult education center AEA and YWCA...

She will counsel troubled girls at the Y and I will be more with AEA where I will build their IT infrastructure, teach. Even though it’s an adult school there will be troubled kids too who were disadvantaged, drop outs... Should be an interesting challenge...

First tour through the Y I was shocked by the poor conditions... .. I walked by an open door where the smell stopped me and I looked inside and possible daycare appeared where masses of kids almost naked were sleeping on top of each other maybe because shortage of room and on a piece of rug... that was a sad daycare.... The AEA has some character right away the look and feel of wooden crackling old colonial school from the 1800’s for effect included with maids and servants for employee. The kitchen maid was old but so fast carrying some tea out for the new guest. As you chat and joke I noticed you can’t just use sarcastic humor here at a personal level as they take it as your opinion... .. some of us already had a few uneasy moment because of that... but at least they laughed at my suggestion of a big screen projector for some of the wooden shack classes but generally they like to joke a lot. Guess what, I got my new tropical Indo Guyanese home... which is much smaller then anticipated as the previous landlady called in at the last minute that she gave away my place to someone who pays more for it.. not very business like... after a few weeks... so I had to move in to a small place but it does seem clean no rats spiders so far as it’s downstairs not upstairs like it suppose to... The first night I had to fight off my first room mate a giant Brazilian cockroach. Here between the roof and wall at least 2 inch gap is standard and that’s where it managed to peek in and crawled around. So I thought just hit it with a towel... pfffff its like 10cm and speedy like a Porsche boxter..... so better converted to a serious weapon like frying pan... haaaaa still way to fast for me... but it just went through the many gaps.... no need for insulation as no air condition installed. the hazard of being downstairs only gets more interesting if flooding starts again then I will be in trouble you know Georgetown is under sea level so that is why it has so many canals thorough it... Another new gift I surprised myself a new bike.... how exciting... great it is much faster then walking and trying to cram on the minibus system... but safety is questionable…both bike and being on the roads. We were told make sure before sitting on that it is together so I laughed at the sarcastic joke…that turned out to be not a joke. Everything age fast here apparently because of humidity metal rust in months...

As the night descended on us we roamed the warm streets toward home and tried out one of many little Rum shops that looks like a double garage converted into mini bar and dance area including pool tables... hehehe it was funny but neat how no noise bylaw to interrupt social life... later that night I got a taste of the bigger clubs like el latino dance bar which was seriously packed... could not move.... so we just hanged out the outside bars that was almost better anyways...

The Rum is great here and the cheapest best one called Eldorado Demerara Caribbean rum, prices are generally expensive for other alcohol but not for those….So our group of white’s drank the night away and started to really enjoy being in Guyana.

No comments:

Post a Comment