Pages

Monday, September 05, 2005

life in newtown kitty

So far you all know I moved in to my West Indies stone house and after my territorial fight with other inhabitants like insect creatures over now I can feel at home....... not as bad as i thought it would be so I guess I am settling in...

I want to talk about a bit the people and procedures. The most famous phrase I hear is "Just NOW" ... that could mean anything from 2 seconds to 2 days... so when I ask someone to do something for me ... and I ask when? ... “just now”, is the common answer.. So the other day I started using the term and I love it.... now I don’t have to worry everyone knows I will take my time.. Who says shopping is fun, well let me tell you ... I didn’t bring towel as it takes up too much room. Very annoying when after each shower you have to get air dry front of my fan, however it's so hot normally not a problem but mornings persuaded me the other day to gather all my courage and attempted to buy a towel... very intricate business you know.... roamed the towns many boutique before I could find one store that actually sells towels. As you enter or try to enter first you have to check your bags.. then you get a number and you get directed to 4th floor where there are some towel but your entrance lady, yes it's a big store... so on 4th they show me the towels and she ask politely which one I would like... well seeing there is only one kind I politely choose that one... then they take it away, and wont see it for a while... I finally get a ripped piece of paper stating I have something in the process then at the desk I get another piece of paper stating the quantity of item which signed by clerk... then I proceed to cashier where I dig out my papers while getting anxious as I still haven’t seen my towel... but then I get a new rip paper and on all of others get a cool wet stamp... then proceed back to customer service to get my towel where I get another stamp stating i received 1 piece of towel... awesome...i can wipe my sweat with my new towel off…so now I can go downstairs where i can check my bags out with my first piece of rip slip which by now disfigured from all the crumpled wet stamped papers in my pocket ... so i had to prove that is my number... and yea, surprise ...voila I got another final stamp that i left the store main gates with a piece of towel..., yeeeehaaa I have a towel!!! then from the exhaustion of towel shopping I just went home to sleep... anyways the happiness lasted about until next shower as I tried out my possession but it sheds like a dead animal.. and as I got a red towel... it leaves red frays and particles all over my body... and to make it perfect for a horror movie it bleeds red color so both my shower and me looks like a slaughter house.... kind of scene from movie scream... anyways.. Air drying is not so bad after all...

One quiet early evening I sat down to watch the 6 o clock news... its worth to watch but not for the news so much... no no... comedy channel is nothing compare to some real life performance here.. see the news is a bit amateur due to shortage of funds... coupled frequent failures or just plain not know how to do things.... like during any broadcast usually a movie appears totally out of the blue.. then u see eject franticly flashing on your screen... or you get to see repeats of the news a few time like first time it happened to me .. my TV went out.. so i kicked it a bit around and a few minutes later came back... but i see the news guy face close up and complaining about a black out... so they have to repeat news... or when there is another murder and you see the police chief on TV explaining how they working really hard on this case and at the end he throws in casually but if any anonymous caller would like to call the police and tell them" what the hell is going on" ... very blunt but I still love those ejects flashes...or start play signs it's almost like they do it on purpose... Friday night I was invited to one of ours birthday night, so I went but not knowing the address i had to yell for a few blocks which is normal around here as no doorbells installed. Mostly you have to yell INSIDE or UPSTAIRS according to the position.

We did organize little parties in each others house so we get to know where everyone lives and the 2 deaf boys who were with us used it to teach us sign language...

I managed to see Sheriff street ...which never sleeps and yes how could you with that noise... oh yea and Sunday night I experienced the favorite Guyanese past time... just sit on the seawall and hang out ..or in Guyanese gaffing... or liming..... It weird... thousands people just on this wall along the ocean wall... you can drink everywhere, vendors and food is set up little tents or carts... and very social... it's like a meeting place for all Guyanese... Just a note… last time I mentioned I went out club Latino and people already recognize me... next day at KFC the counter girls knew i was at Latino.. hmmmm... small town... well that all folks for now .. i have to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment